Tuesday, November 24, 2009

She Works Hard For The Money

My boss Margaret was still in the office when I went to return my key. I didn't finish until 10. She didn't say anything to me about that, just a "How are you?" When I signed out there was a note asking why I had worked 4 hours instead of 3.5 all week. I was pretty tired, well I am writing this on the tram home so I am STILL tired. Anyway! I didn't read it properly but I did end up thinking "What the hell are you talking about?" Look at the book I usually work 4, or more, hours! I got a bit pissed off as I left the building. I thought, I am glad she didn't think, or remember, to ask me about it then and there. I might have slapped her. No, it's more likely I'd get flustered and possibly/probably cry. Really I should ask why don't I get paid for my extra time but I've only just thought of that now. As if I would ever be that cocky!!! I should be though, honestly I didn't think of it till now. That note put me on the defensive. It took me by surprise. Why have they only noticed now? I have told them it takes me longer to get everything done. Admittedly it may not have been that recently, and of course I notice it all the time, because I am friggin' livin' it!

It's annoying to end so late because most of the night I felt on top of things. The lifts are still a drag but I am getting better at it. I think the problem tonight is I had to keep moving around before I could completely finish a section. You lose the momentum doing that. I could almost live with ending a half hour late because doing the lifts "properly" means it takes extra time. I had intended to inform her of that. I imagined saying something like: If you want it done right it will take an extra half hour. I want to be paid that extra time as well. Yeah, that's telling her! LOL. I have to tell her something because it's just not fair.

All the unpaid overtime has never been fair but recently this lift stuff made me feel like I was justified in saying I needed that extra half hour to get my work done. If I finally manage to track down Geraldine - my old cleaning boss - I should know whether or not her offer for a different shift is still on the table. I personally feel it's been too long since I called her back saying I would like the job. She never got back to me after that Friday - almost two weeks ago. When I try her phone I just get the answering machine. It's a mobile so it is possible she's lost it. I don't know what's going on. It's quite disappointing thinking I don't have a way out any more. I got quite upset about it at the end of last week. Like all my hope had vanished.

If I don't manage to see Geraldine tomorrow morning I will go see Margaret. Perhaps we can talk about this overtime stuff. Plus I need to ask her for a night off when I go see the B-52s concert. Is it next week? Gosh I think so. Yikes! And Yippie! Contradictory emotions as always. (That's your girl!) Damn it, I'm having that night off. I've earned it.


No comments:

Post a Comment